Chloe Ward, Reepham High School and College (18333), 3219

Friday 8 November 2013

Pace of Editing

We have been asked to look at an artist similar to the one we are using for our music video and look at one of their music videos to look at the pace at which cuts were made throughout the video.
I looked at the band Middleman, and at their song Spinning Plates, which has a narrative based music video.
First, I listened to their song without watching the video and estimated the number of cuts from listening for changes in the music. I predicted there would be 24 cuts during the first 33 seconds of the video.
Next I watched the video and kept a tally to record how many cuts were made in the same time period. I found that there were 16 - quite a few less than I thought.
I think this tells me that in my own video I should have fewer cuts and perhaps span some visuals over a few beats rather than cutting it so quickly, in order to make my video a little more dynamic, as well as giving the video more substance and more for people to focus on.
For instance, I predicted there would be at least 4 cuts in the first 5 seconds, but actually there were only two. This is effective as it gives more value to the opening of the song and also gives off the impression that the first few seconds of visuals are important, as they do not flash on quickly and then disappear.


1 comment:

  1. Well done for referencing this video's influence.
    T: consider how pace and interest is maintained in other ways (e.g. adjusting focus and speeding up).
    T: remember that this video is also driven heavily by the performance element.

    ReplyDelete